Producing music has become much more easier today. You don’t really need thousands of dollars worth of equipments now to make the world listen to your music and it is awesome. Apps like GarageBands are a great help to everyone from amateurs to professionals. This application is filled to the brim with features and you can get it for FREE with every Mac. However, if you are a Windows user who is looking for a GarageBand for PC, look no further.
Since GarageBand can only be installed on Apple’s operating systems (MacOS and iOS) we are going to look at a few alternative Garageband for PC first. But if you really want to use Garageband and don’t want to spend a ton on a MacBook, then we have a few methods you can try too.
Must Read: Free Netflix Accounts & Passwords
Alternatives For GarageBand
There are a lot of free software available on PC that is almost or just as good as GarageBand. We have compiled a list of our recommendations so that you can start making your own music as soon as possible.
This free, open source software is what comes up first when you think about GarageBand competitor. A group of vo;uteer software developers are responsible for this amazing app. It comes with a bevvy of features and the best thing about it is it is simple to use. It has a ton of software instrument, preloaded effects and samples. The user interface needs a lot more work and polish to be perfectly honest, but since it is feature-filled, free and compatible with any OS, we can ignore that.
You can download LMMS for Windows here.
This is another alternative to GarageBand. It can be used for free but you are going to have to pay for the premium features. Its live mode mixes different audio clips and loops so that the artist can find out what works best. It is a little different from the rest of the entries.
The free and paid versions have equal number of tracks but you get fewer effects and basic instruments with the former. Fortunately, the free version is great for starters and you don’t really have to pay to use it.
You can download Stagelight here.
FL studio is great for GarageBand users and it comes with more features. The software is very easy to use and is extremely popular with artists.
The pattern feature is an awesome tool to have. Unfortunately, this software is not free to use but to be fair, it is worth every penny you spend on it. It has a trial version too if you want to make sure before purchasing.
Check out FL studio here.
Music Maker Jam
This software is aimed at users who just want to make music for fun. Compared to the rest of our entries, it doesn’t have a ton of features.
But it more than makes up for the lack of features with its ease of use and the sheer fun of making music. If you are just starting out, this software is the best for you.
You can download Music Maker Jam here. You can also use this application on Android and iOS.
GarageBand For Windows PC
If you want to only use GarageBand but don’t want to spend on a PC, don’t worry, it is possible. Emulators and virtual machines are great tools that can help you with this. You do not need to know the specifics of virtualization but just following these methods would give you results.
iPadian emulator, as the name suggests is an emulator that lets you run iOS on your system. Since GarageBand is available on iOS, you can now freely install it.
- Windows 7 or higher.
- At least 4 GB of RAM.
- Adobe Air installed.
- At least 2 GB of free space.
- Download iPadian on your Windows PC.
- Install the software package and run iPadian.
- Open App Store on it and search for GarageBand.
- You can start using it on the emulator after it is installed.
Since this is the mobile version of GarageBand, it is different from the full MacOS version. If you prefer that, just look at the next method.
VMWare works only on Intel PCs. For AMD based systems, you can use the AMD-V compatiblity checker from the AMD site and use AMD-V.
- Make sure you have virtualization enabled in BIOS. The way to do it is different from system to system, so please check out a YouTube video that corresponds to your system.
- Download MacOS Sierra using this link.
- Next, download VMWare Workstation player for Windows by clicking here.
- Extract the MacOS Sierra and tools using WinRar or 7zip.
- Follow the path macOS Sierra 10.12 tools > Final Youtube Folder >unlocker208.
- Right click on Win-install and run it as administrator.
- Just sit back and wait after the Command prompt window opens.
- Fire up VMWare and click on Open Virtual Machine.
- Follow the path macOS Sierra > macOS Sierra 10.12 tools > Final Youtube Folder > macOS Sierra folder and select MacOS.
- After that, click on Edit Virtual Machine Settings and set your preffered number of cores you want to dedicate to the VM (2 recommended if quad core).
- Set the amount of RAM to half the number of your system RAM. Press OK and close
- Open VMWare again and press Play Virtual Machine.
- MacOS will start booting up and go through the set up process.
- Open AppStore within the virtual machine and download GarageBand.
Make sure you have a beefy set up since virtual machine overhead can cause a performance hit. Don’t expect to run GarageBand at the same performance level on a Mac, but you will now have GarageBand on PC.
We would recommend that you choose the alternative softwares instead of going the emulator and VM route. But if you are used to GarageBand, then by all means use VMWare or iPadian to run it. Hopefully, this article has been helpful to you. If you have any doubts or suggestions, please leave them at the comment box below and we will get to you as soon as possible.