Facebook. Who hasn not heard of this social networking behemoth?! In the past one and a half decades, it has brought people from around the world closer together than ever before. It provided people with the means to share pictures, texts and videos from one corner of the planet to another. If you want to download private Facebook videos, this article is for you.
Also for the sake of clarity, the private videos referred in this article are just the videos that have been set to private and is not available to download for the public. You can identify a private post since it will not have a share button. We will take a look at the various methods you can use and give you a way on downloading public videos too.
Method to Download Public Facebook Videos
Public videos can be viewd on the social website without any problems but downloading isn’t so straightforward since Facebook does not have a download button. But do not worry, as there is a very simple method you can use to get the video you want on your device. It works just like how YouTube downloaders work. All you have to do is copy and paste the link of the video you want and download it. Unfortunately there are a lot of fake websites to download Facebook Videos. But websites like getfbstuff.com will definitely help you out. Just follow these simple steps to download public Facebook videos.
- Launch your browser and visit the Facebook website.
- Go to the video you want to download.
- Make sure it’s public because it won’t work if it is a private Facebook video.
- Copy link address which should look like the one in the picture and visit getfbstuff.com.
- Paste the video URL in the box and press the Download button.
- Once you press it, you will be given 2 options to choose from. This determines the quality of the video.
That’s all there is to it and you can now enjoy the video. If you weren’t able to download it, then there’s a high chance that the video is not public. Don’t worry, we will be covering that in the next section.
Method to Download Private Facebook Videos
These methods are the latest ones you can use to download private Facebook videos. Most websites for this were either taken down or straight up fake. But follow our methods and you should have your video.
Method 1: Using Just a Browser
To download video in the SD quality, it is pretty simple. All you have to follow are these steps:
- Log in to your Facebook and find the private video you want to download.
- Right click on it and select copy link address. If that option is unavailable, select Show video URL and at the top of the video, you will be able to find the link.
- Paste the copied address and paste it on the address bar of your browser. Replace the “www” at the beginning of the URL to “mbasic”.
- Another simple looking Facebook page will open up and click on the video. It will start playing in a new tab.
- Right click on the video and select Save as option. The video will be downloaded in SD quality.
If you want more sharpness to your videos ie; download it in HD quality, then just :
- Find the video you want to download in HD.
- Press F12 or right click and select Inspect.
- Next, select the Network tab and then select the all tab
- Replay the video and select the entry that mentions video. Under General, you will be able to find Request URL.
- Copy and paste this URL on the address bar of another tab and delete the &bytestart and &byteend parameters.
- You will see that only the video or only the audio will be downloaded. Go back to step 4 and select the option near to the one you selected that says video. This will have the missing part.
- Save both of the downloaded files by right clicking on it in the same location.
- When you play the video, just add the downloaded audio track.
In this case, you can download Facebook private video in HD but combining the audio and the video can be a hassle. Thankfully, there are methods that doesn’t require that.
Method 2: Using Downloader Websites
Unlike for YouTube there are only a few trustworthy websites for downloading Facebook videos. But to download private Facebook videos, you need more than just a URL. Just follow these steps:
- Log in to Facebook and open the video you want in a new tab. Right click and select View page source.
- Press Ctrl + F and look for “.mp4”. If it is found, then this means that you are at the right page source.
- Press Ctrl + A to select everything and Ctrl + C to copy it.
- Visit Facebook Private Video Downloader and paste the source code. Press Download and you are good to go.
Method 3: Using Youtube-dl
Youtube-dl is a command line program that can be used to download videos from over 400 websites. It is very simple to use.
- Download Youtube-dl from github and download it.
- After that, move Youtube-dl to the user folder, which can be found at C:/User/(Your Username).
- Log in to Facebook and copy the URL of the video.
- Now press Wndows + R to launch the Run dialog and enter cmd.
- Type in youtube-dl.exe (Paste the URL) –username(Type in your Facebook username) –password(Enter Password). Just to be safe, make sure you don’t use your main account.
The video will be downloaded.
Method 4: Using Siri Shortcuts
Siri shortcuts are awesome. They let you do a ton of cool stuff. One such thing is downloading private Facebook videos.
- Download the Shortcuts application on your iPhone and then download Ultimate Facebook Video Downloader.
- Log in to Facebook on Safari and press the Safari share button near the video of your choice. Select Shortcuts and then select the Video Downloader shortcut.
- The video will be saved in the Photos app.
Method 5: Using Extensions
There are extensions available on Chrome and Firefox that will let you download HD videos from Facebook. And it is very simple as all you have to do is copy the link of the video and paste it. In Firefox, there is a very useful extension called the Video Downloader Professional Firefox Add-on and you should definitely check it out.
Method 6: Using Allavsoft
Allavsoft is a tool just like Youtube-dl. The software is much more intuitive to use and does not require your log in credentials. It lets you download videos from practically any website. It is however, not free to use like Youtube-dl but for it does offer a lot for its price.
So that is all there is to it. We have given you all the tools you can use to download private Facebook videos. But we must also remind you that with great power comes great responsibility and we discourage any misuse. If you have any doubts or suggestions, please feel free to let us know in the comment section down below and we will get back to you as soon as we can.