If you are reading this article, then you have probably made an error in your purchasing decisions. This article will tell you how to refund a game on Steam.
Steam is currently one of the most popular video game distribution platforms right now. With a very large library of games and a ton of offers going around, it is no wonder it has amassed over 47 million users. With the wide range of games released every year on the platform, you can bet that there are a few duds. This can be really frustrating especially if a game that has been hyped up to the upper atmosphere turns out to be a boring, buggy mess. For every DOTA 2 you can expect a disappointment like Infestation: Survivor Stories Classic.
Valve changed it’s refund policy in late 2015 and fortunately made it much simpler for users to ask for a refund. If you have made an accidental purchase or if your game doesn’t run on your PC for whatever reasons, your request will be accepted immediately. Steam even allows you to ask for a refund if the game you purchased doesn’t really match up to your expectations. Just follow the steps given below and you should have no problem.
Requirements to get a Refund from Steam
Since Steam probably doesn’t want users to take unfair advantage of their refund system, they have a few rules. Make sure you follow these rules so that you have a very high chance of being eligible for refunds. These eligibility criterias are:
- The refund should be made 14 days after purchasing the game.
- The time spent playing the game must be less than 2 hours.
This is to ensure that people do not misuse the system. If you want to refund a game on Steam within 14 hours but have played it for more than 2 hours, your refund request will be cancelled. Steam has a very solid way of knowing these things.
How to Refund a Game on Steam
Check If You Are Eligible
If you meet every criteria and you are eligible for a refund, just follow these steps to get it.
- Visit Steam Help on your browser. Alternatively, you can click on the Help button at the top of the steam client and select Steam Support from the menu. If you are using your browser to access Steam, you have to log in to your account.
- After you have successfully logged in, click on Purchases.
- A list of games or any other products you’ve purchased will be presented to you. Find the game you want to request a refund for and click on it. If you cannot find that game, it is probably out side the refund window and is ineligible for the refund.
- After you click on the game, you can choose the problem you are having with this product. It can be an accidental purchase or a gameplay issue that you are facing.
- You will then be given two more options. Steam will offer you technical support if that is the issue you are facing. But if you are certain that you want a refund, click on the I’d like to request a refund button.
- Choose the where you want to receive your refund from the drop down. It can either be on your original purchase mode or Valve can refund it to your Steam Wallet.
- Fill out the form below. You can give them your reason and the specifics for that reason. This is done so that Steam and game developers get some creative criticism and make sure you do not need to Refund a Game on Steam in the future. Click on Submit request.
- You will receive a confirmation email about your refund from Valve.
If You Are Not Eligible
If you do not meet one or some of the eligibility criteria, you don’t throw in the towel yet. Steam still provides a way to request a refund and it will review it. Just follow the same steps you did in the section above. Unfortunately, the chances of you getting refunded is not very high.
Why isn’t my refund being reflected in my bank account even after seven days?
If you are an international user, the refund will appear in your account within 10 days. The waiting period otherwise is 7 days. If it still doesn’t show up in your account, you should contact Your bank for any pending refunds.
Can I contest my refund decision if it was denied?
If you think Steam has unfairly denied your request, you can apply for a refund again. Just submit the form and another employee will take a look at it.
What if I request for a refund 24 hours after it was purchased?
In this case, your original purchase will be cancelled. The refund will take up to 10 days to be credited and international time may take even more time.
How many times can I apply for a refund?
If you have eligibility, you can request for a refund as many times you need to. But Steam will warn you if they think you are abusing the refund system. If you still do it, the refund option will be taken away completely. What constitutes as an abuse isn’t really defined and Steam reserves the right to judge it.
Hopefully, this article has been a ton of help for you. If you follow the steps above, you should have no problem getting your refund. But please make sure that you are not abusing this system. As long as you purchase the game to actually own it and not to keep trying them out for free, Steam would accept your requests. If you have any doubts or any other suggestions, please use the comment section down below to let us know.